You will need an API key for each of the NGP VAN committees you would like to sync BallotReady data to. If you plan to sync data to more than one NGP VAN committee, we can split the BallotReady data based on the state entered as part of the address.
- Request an API key from NGP/VAN for Ballotready.
- Request your VAN API key through the VAN support ticketing system. Admin or Voter File Manager (VFM) access is required in order to make this request. If you do not have this level of access to VAN, please contact your Admin or VFM to submit this request for you.
- While logged into VAN, go to the main menu and navigate to the Administrative Menu > Integrations > API Integrations > Request an API Key.
- Submit a ticket here to VAN asking for an API key to be issued for BallotReady integration. If you have access to MyVoters and MyCampaign, specify that you would like the key to have access to both databases.
Note: You cannot reuse an API key - a new key is required for each integration.
- Share your NGP/VAN API key with your Ballotready account representative.
- VAN will respond with your API key details. Share that key with BallotReady in a onetimesecret.
- Define your configuration details for BallotReady.
- Let BallotReady know if you would like to sync data only to MyCampaign (MyOrganizing), MyVoters, or if you would like to sync user data to both. Also include if you are sending BallotReady data to multiple VAN accounts.
- For customers who choose to sync data to both MyCampaign (My Organizing) and MyVoters:
- If we find the person in myVoters, should we also sync them to myCampaign?
- Do you want all tags added in both MyV and MyC?
How often will the data sync?
BallotReady will send data to NGP VAN hourly.
What should I expect to see in NGP/VAN?
We will set the following tags in NGP/VAN to indicate the actions a user has completed:
We will attempt to find the record in MyVoters and add tags to indicate the user has completed given actions in BallotReady. Optionally, if the record can not be found and matched in MyVoters, we can find/create the record for the user in MyCampaign.
We will attempt to find the record in MyVoters and add tags to indicate the user has completed given actions in BallotReady. Optionally, if the record can not be found and matched in MyVoters, we can find/create the record for the user in MyOrganizing.
We will find/create the record in MyCampaign. Any additional information on the person provided will be used to update the record and we will set the correct values to indicate whether the user has opted in to email / sms outreach. NGP will attempt to match on email, phone number,
We will find/create the record in MyCampaign.